Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It's up to you New York?

New York City skyline at dusk with the Chrysler Building on left and the Empire State Building on right, taken from the roof of The MetLife building at 200 Park Avenue.
" If I can make it there       

I'll make it anywhere

It's up to you

New York, New York"
                                                                                   
          
Did Frank Sinatra say it all in New York, New York ?  Is it up to New York to make your dreams come true?

There do seem to be a lot of signs that this is true for me.  After about a week of researching publishing companies with openings for a fall intern, I found 15 in New York (on one site), 6 in the Boston area (with a far more extensive search and 8 in the Boston area that don't have postings but that I plan on trying my luck with anyway.  I have heard that getting any position is a game of odds and that the more rejections you get the closer you are to getting accepted.  Considering this, my goal is to apply to as many positions as possible.  So, the odds seem much higher of getting a position in New York than anywhere else.

Then I found this blog, how-to-get-an-internship-in-publishing-5-tips/ , where the first tip on how to get an internship in publishing is how to live in New York City (or within commutable distance).   Okay, now this is starting to feel like I am being ganged up on. 

Also, as a girl whose guilty pleasures are chick flicks and chick lit, any single girl looking to go after her dream job in the big city has to move to New York.   These books and movies have been telling me for years that this is the only way to go.  Of course, I don't typically let anything with chick in the genre title dictate how I am going to live, but it's all starting to look like this is my only option.

The problem is that one, I don't know anyone in New York.  It seems pretty impossible to me to work for no money in the most expensive place to live in the U.S. without being able to do a little couch surfing or becoming a house guest for three or four months.

                                        

The other problem is that I love Boston.  While I think it would be cool to live in New York in an abstract kind of way.  I know I would love living in Boston.  Not only do I have the most wonderful family ever, who I am sure would be willing to help me out, hint hint.  But it is a city that I have always felt is my true home and where I belong

Of course, I will still apply for as many positions as possible, but I am not changing my own personal theme song from Dirty Water any time soon.  Sorry, Frank.

No comments:

Post a Comment